It is with regret the Ovens & Murray Board advised Clubs last night, the 2020 season will be cancelled due to recent setbacks experienced in Victoria.
The Albury Tigers Club is disappointed in this outcome. The Club’s position has been consistent throughout this pandemic. We wanted to give the players every opportunity to play if it was safe to do so, regardless of any restrictions surrounding the extent of reduced spectator capacity. We were hoping the final decision on the 2020 season could have been further delayed taking into consideration the current landscape at the time with options to play a further reduced season or extend the season further into October as potential solutions. The Club will continue to look at our options for the remainder of the year and hope this may include exhibitions games or the like, if safe to do so.
At this stage there has been no final decision on the football juniors/thirds or the netball U16’s as the decision above only relates to the senior Netball and Football only.
As this news has only been disseminated to Clubs last night, Tigers volunteers will now look at how this impacts Club operations, sponsorship etc. The Club has almost completed the lighting upgrade at the Sportsground. These additional costs plus the inability to produce revenue through our Club function room, game days etc has placed a financial strain on the Club but we are confident with your continued support we’ll come out of this pandemic in a stable position with one of the best, if not the best, country sporting facility in Australia.
Thank you all for your support. Watch this space for future developments and ways we can continue to work with our stakeholders and provide opportunities to engage with the Tiger community throughout the remainder of 2020.